RDS at D-ITET
ISG.EE provides a RDS environment that allows all D-ITET employees to access a session-based Windows server. This server hosts several Microsoft programs as well as some other software, most of it runs on Windows only. For your daily work, ISG.EE recommends to setup a RDP client (not web browser based).
Please use VPN in order to connect successfully from external networks. We offer several ways how to connect to the RDS servers:
Linux, MacOS X, Windows (Web Browser Based)
- Open a web browser and point it to one of those pages:
https://worli.ee.ethz.ch (welcome page with all mentioned options below)
https://worli.ee.ethz.ch/RDweb/webclient (supports audio forwarding)
https://worli.ee.ethz.ch/myrtille (better scroll behavior)
Myrtille is an open source Git project, based on FreeRDP. You can change the name of the destination server. This allows you to use it as a web based RDP client to connect to any computer at D-ITET (theoretically).
Example with FreeRDP (version 2.0.0 or newer):
Connect to https://worli.ee.ethz.ch/RDWeb
- Login with your nethz credentials: "d\USERNAME"
- Download the rdp file to a location you remeber and name it SERVERNAME.rdp (for example vela.rdp)
xfreerdp SERVERNAME.rdp /gu:USERNAME /gd:d /u:USERNAME /d:d
Users with ISG.EE managed Linux workstations have the option to use the SEPP package xfreerdp-2.0.0.
Example with Microsoft Remote Desktop 10 Client for Mac:
- Install "Microsoft Remote Desktop 10" from apple app store
- Setup the gateway worli.ee.ethz.ch
- Configre both users, the gateway and the RDP user with "d\USERNAME"
- Launch your connection
Example with Default mstsc.exe RDP Client:
Go to https://worli.ee.ethz.ch/RDWeb and login
- Download the *.rdp file for the connection you would like to use.
- Enter "d\USERNAME" and password and wait for the user profile to load.
- Bad Scroll behavior with Firefox and Chrome
- Colors can appear slightly too bright
- Sometimes black page when resizing browser window (reconnect necessary)
- Annoying copy paste warning "Confirm the copy to your local clipboard"
- No audio support
- Not as fast as MS Webclient when working with 3D apps or video streams
- Scaling not possible after login. Only zooming function (not really an issue).
- Slightly different colors
- Can be CPU hungry if screen changes a lot
- Sometimes buggy, when working with 2 physical monitors (some lines can flicker)
- Steals focus of gnome-screensaver when active so entering a password is impossible