Your mail address
With your new D-ITET account you have automatically received an email address called firstname.lastname@example.org where username is your NETHZ login name. By default all emails sent to this account will be automatically forwarded to the address email@example.com.
You can change this default settings in your sieve mailfilter configuration. See https://computing.ee.ethz.ch/Email/Filtering .
staff / guest / others
Beside your institute email address we have automatically created an email address called firstname.lastname@example.org, where username is your NETHZ login name. You can use this address the same way as your institute email address (in fact, all your institute addresses are only aliases for email@example.com!).
Do not use the firstname.lastname@example.org address for publications! We use a very restrictive policy concerning email addresses for people who left the D-ITET. You better use your institute address in any publication as this address can be used much longer, after you left the ETH.
You receive your email on a so called "inbox", which is a special folder with all the incoming mails. You should try to keep this folder as small as possible by moving the mails you want to keep to another folder and deleting what you don't need. There is a "soft" limit of 50 MB on that folder and you will get warning messages if your mailbox becomes bigger. This is just a reminder: mail will always be delivered, independently of the size of your inbox. What you can do to prevent getting messages from the mailbox-guard is:
- Purge mailbox folders with deleted messages
- Using IMAP, mails you delete are only "marked as deleted", hence still use disk-space. Often they are just not shown anymore by the mail client. To definitely purge them, follow these steps:
- Thunderbird: Select the mailbox folder and choose "Compact" from the context menu.
- Outlook(imap mailbox): Select the mailbox folder, switch to the "FOLDER"-Tab and choose "Purge" in the panel on the top.
Roundcube Webmail (http://email.ee.ethz.ch): select "Compact" in the "Folder actions" pulldown menu at the bottom left.
AppleMail: press +K
- Move mails to another mailbox folder
- Move your mails from the incoming mailbox (Inbox) to a subfolder and then purge the inbox (see above)
- At D-ITET the mailbox folders are stored on a local disk of the imap server and can be only accessed and managed over the imap client. It's not possible to get filesystem access to this storage location.
- Save and delete big attachments
- If you happen to have very big attachements in your mails, you may want to save them somewhere else and remove them from the message.
You can forward your email with a redirect rule in your sieve filter. See https://computing.ee.ethz.ch/Email/Filtering .
If you are offline for a few days, you can activate an automatic email response service. See https://computing.ee.ethz.ch/Email/Vacation .
- I'm leaving ETH. How long will my account and email address remain active?
Students: If you used <username>@ee.ethz.ch it will be inactivated the same moment your D-ITET student account expires. If you used <username>@student.ethz.ch then your address is valid for 5 month after the date of your exmatriculation.
- Staff: The institute decides, how long your mail-account remains. Please discuss it with your local IT-coordinator. Usually, the Email address is disabled after your account is deleted.