Your mail address
With your new D-ITET account you have automatically received an email address called email@example.com where username is your NETHZ login name. By default all emails sent to this account will be automatically forwarded to the address firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can change this behaviour by changing or removing your .forward file (see below in Section Forward).
staff / guest / others
Beside your institute email address we have automatically created an email address called email@example.com, where username is your NETHZ login name. You can use this address the same way as your institute email address (in fact, all your institute addresses are only aliases for firstname.lastname@example.org!).
Do not use the email@example.com address for publications! We use a very restrictive policy concerning email addresses for people who left the D-ITET. You better use your institute address in any publication as this address can be used much longer, after you left the ETH.
You receive your email on a so called "inbox", which is a special folder with all the incoming mails. You should try to keep this folder as small as possible by moving the mails you want to keep to another folder and deleting what you don't need. There is a "soft" limit of 50 MB on that folder and you will get warning messages if your mailbox becomes bigger. This is just a reminder: mail will always be delivered, independently of the size of your inbox. What you can do to prevent getting messages from the mailbox-guard is:
- Purge mailbox folders with deleted messages
- Using IMAP, mails you delete are only "marked as deleted", hence still use disk-space. Often they are just not shown anymore by the mail client. To definitely purge them, follow these steps:
- Thunderbird: Select the mailbox folder and choose "Compact" from the File menu
- Outlook(imap mailbox): Select the mailbox folder, switch to the "FOLDER"-Tab and choose "Purge" in the panel on the top.
Roundcube Webmail (http://email.ee.ethz.ch): select "Compact" in the "Folder actions" pulldown menu at the bottom left.
AppleMail: press +K
- Move mails to another mailbox folder
- Move your mails from the incoming mailbox (Inbox) to a subfolder and then purge the inbox (see above)
- At D-ITET the mailbox folders are stored on a local disk of the imap server and can be only accessed and managed over the imap client. It's not possible to get filesystem access to this storage location.
- Save and delete big attachments
- If you happen to have very big attachements in your mails, you may want to save them somewhere else and remove them from the message.
You can forward your email simply by creating a file ~/.forward in your home directory of your EE Unix account. This file should just contain a line with the eMail address to which you want to forward all your EE eMail. There are quite a few other things you can accomplish with the ~/.forward file. To this end consult the following table:
Line in ~/.forward
All incoming email will be forwarded to <email-address>.
All incoming email will be forwarded to email-address, additionally a copy stays on your EE-Account.
In order to stop your email from being forwarded just delete the ~/.forward file.
Remark: All incoming mail is filtered with procmail by default, procmail is a simple, yet powerfull filter (see Procmail for more information on procmail).
You can also setup the forwarding of your mails online:
Note: If you are student, althought you own a mailbox with an 'ee.ethz.ch'-adress, there is a .forward-file in your home, which forwards the mails to the Exchange-Server of ID. This means that you should use the official students-adress 'student.ethz.ch'. And which also means, that you should not make a forward to 'ee.ethz.ch' in your NETHZ-account, because that would result in a mail-loop.
If you are offline for a few days, you can activate our automatic email response service. It will send a message to everyone who tries to contact you during your absence.
You can activate the vacation message online:
- I'm leaving ETH. How long will my account and email address remain active?
- Staff: The institute decides, how long your mail-account remains. Please discuss it with your local IT-coordinator. Usually, the Email address is disabled after your account is deleted.