added section expiry
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 26:||Line 26:|
|||email-address ||All incoming email will be forwarded to email-address. ||||||email-address ||All incoming email will be forwarded to <email-address>. |||
|Line 40:||Line 40:|
'''Note:''' If you are student, althought you own a mailbox with an 'ee.ethz.ch'-adress, there is a .forward-file in your home, which forwards the mails to the Exchange-Server of ID. This means that you should use the official students-adress 'student.ethz.ch'. And which also means, that you should not make a forward to 'ee.ethz.ch' in your NETHZ-account, because that would result in a mail-loop.
Your mail address
Your eMail arrives on our Unix mail server called Tardis. If you are a D-ITET student, your eMail address is firstname.lastname@example.org where username is your Unix login name.
You receive your email on a so called "inbox", which is a special folder with all the incoming mails. You should try to keep this folder as small as possible by moving the mails you want to keep to another folder and deleting what you don't need. There is a "soft" limit of 50 MB on that folder and you will get warning messages if your mailbox becomes bigger. This is just a reminder: mail will always be delivered, independently of the size of your inbox. What you can do to prevent getting messages from the mailbox-guard is:
- Purge deleted messages
- Using IMAP, mails you delete are only "marked as deleted", hence still use disk-space. Often they are just not shown anymore by the mail client. To definitely purge them, follow these steps:
- Thunderbird: Select the mailbox and choose "Compact Mailboxes" from the File menu
Outlook & Entourage: Select the mailbox and choose "Purge deleted messages" from the Edit menu
- Eudora: in the Special menu select "Compact Mailboxes" or set your account-properties to automatically purge old mail
http://email.ee.ethz.ch: select "Purge Deleted" in the upper-right-hand corner
AppleMail: press +K
- Move mails to another mailbox
- Move your mails from the incoming mailbox (Inbox) to a subfolder and then purge the inbox (see above)
- At D-ITET, your mail root-folder is called "Mail". Any message in here is actually on your home directory
- Save and delete big attachments
- If you happen to have very big attachements in your mails, you may want to save them somewhere else and remove them from the message.
You can forward your email simply by creating a file ~/.forward in your home directory of your EE Unix account. This file should just contain a line with the eMail address to which you want to forward all your EE eMail. There are quite a few other things you can accomplish with the ~/.forward file. To this end consult the following table:
Line in ~/.forward
All incoming email will be forwarded to <email-address>.
All incoming email will be forwarded to email-address, additionally a copy stays on your EE-Account.
In order to stop your email from being forwarded just delete the ~/.forward file.
Remark: All incoming mail is filtered with procmail by default, procmail is a simple, yet powerfull filter (see Procmail for more information on procmail).
You can also setup the forwarding of your mails online:
Note: If you are student, althought you own a mailbox with an 'ee.ethz.ch'-adress, there is a .forward-file in your home, which forwards the mails to the Exchange-Server of ID. This means that you should use the official students-adress 'student.ethz.ch'. And which also means, that you should not make a forward to 'ee.ethz.ch' in your NETHZ-account, because that would result in a mail-loop.
If you are offline for a few days, you can activate our automatic email response service. It will send a message to everyone who tries to contact you during your absence.
You can activate the vacation message online:
- I'm leaving ETH. How long will my account and email address remain active?
- Students: 3 to 4 month after leaving ETH, your account and your Email-Address will be disabled.
- Staff: The institute decides, how long your account remains. Please discuss it with your local IT-coordinator. Usually, the Email adress is disabled after half a year after leaving.